Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Routine update

A few things happening.

The bathroom renovations have been completed. The results are good and we're happy with it. Pictures following...

I'm back to pumping out code for my hotspot stuff. Essentially working on the next incremental version - adding things like "per location" support among basic items like "Forgot Password" procedures. I expect this to take about a month depending on how much feature creep occurs.

I'm hoping to achieve some sales to some local caravan parks on my own - just to prove that I can do sales work when I want to (not that I really want to, it sucks imo). I believe I can add something to the process since I'm the one who develop and install the bloody system.

I am currently researching two technologies - IP Surveillance and Ethernet over Power for larger buildings. Looking at Mobotix IP Cameras and the Motorola EoP products in particular.

I'm going to take a week off soon. Not sure exactly when but it will have to be soon.






Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Mudjimba Hotspot Up and Running

Installed a WRAP2 Hotspot AP/Router on the Santorini Building last week, Don just installed the Netgear WG102 repeater at the actual Park this morning. Everything is go and that concludes the rollout of hotspots to each of the Maroochy Council's Caravan Parks.

Now I will concentrate on improving the service and obtaining as much feedback as possible. I will contact a few of the larger privately held caravan parks in the immediate area and see if they are interested in implementing the service. At about $2.5k a pop, it isn't exactly expensive for the service offered, plus it delivers income etc.

Monday, October 16, 2006

Data cabled the house

All those years ago I bought a rack - there it sat with a couple of cable runs to the two bedrooms that were merely long patch leads stuck through a hole in the floor.

This week the bathroom renovations began. These modifications also include the addition of a new bedroom - so I had the opportunity to run a bunch of cables via the stripped bathroom walls and to the newly installed bedroom wall. So I decided to bite the bullet and do it all.

So now the house has 6 double gang RJ45 jacks - one per bedroom, two in the lounge room and one in the kitchen.

I used Clipsal 'Titanium' cat5e jacks with standard wall plates/surrounds and plasterboard hangers ($20.60 per set). Used Krone cat5e cable ($0.38/m) consolidating upon a cheap Accton cat5e 24 port patch panel (Free). Used 6m of box ducting ($65 for 2 4m lengths :( ) and many nailin double cable clips ($10 for a box of 100) to tidy up the runs downstairs.

I ripped out all the old phone wiring since that was shithouse and installed by some idiot. I bought a central splitter from DSE ($26) that took either hardwired or plugin type connections. I hardwired the line in to it, and then punched its phone and adsl lines to the patch panel. DSL connection and phone are now much better - no static and a lot more SNR. This particular central splitter has surge/overload protection too so it offers somewhat more protection to the connected devices at the cost of 0.5dB insertion loss.

A bonus is that I connected the rear speakers of the surround sound setup to the network via some patch leads I made up and it works. cat5e is said to be quite good for speaker cables and if you plat enough pairs together you can get some studio quality performance from them. Depends a lot on how much power you want to shove through them - rear speakers generally don't require much.

Some pictures:



Rack with patch panel, cable guides, central splitter and DSL router


Photo detailing the vertical ducting


One of the bedroom points